Thursday, December 12, 2013

Five years have passed since I created this blog, over four since I last posted.  I am wondering why I forgot about blogging.  Since then my oldest daughter, her husband and their children moved to South Carolina, far across the country.  My oldest son has become a very fine mechanic.  My third child returned from a two year service mission in South Korea, met and married his beautiful sweetheart, and my two youngest children have moved away from home. Empty nesters and long distance grandparents to four grandchildren, that's what my husband and I are now. 

Empty Nest, or not?  That is the question I now ponder. What will I do with the years that stretch ahead of me?  I am hoping to live a long, useful, and happy life.  I may not have children at home anymore, but I am still of a nesting nature.  There is much to do.

First, GET FIT.  Walk three to five times per week. Cook healthy meals, eat most meals at home. Watch my portions. Be aware of the quality of food and drink I am putting into my body. Have good sleep habits.  Keep regular check appointments. Lose weight and decrease medications.

Second, RECOMMIT to the Lord.  Remember my prayers, make them more meaningful.  Study the scriptures, listen to conference CD's in my car, read the ENSIGN and other inspirational writings. 

Third, RECONNECT with my spouse.  Get to know what's important to him, pray for him, help him  prepare for retirement, prepare to teach English in China, prepare to serve a mission.  Check in daily.  Take time out once a week, and quarterly.  Seek to be unified spiritually, financially, and emotionally. 

Fourth, PARENT my adult children. Keep in touch regularly, pray for them, share in their joys and sorrows, accept and love their spouses, Serve them as needed with respect for their boundaries and privacy., offer support, be there for them, keep my heart open for them.

Fifth, GRANDPARENT.  Keep in touch with each grandchild, pray for them by name and need, know the things that are most important to them, their likes and dislikes, their wishes, dreams and goals.  Write letters, send packages, email, skype, and visit as often as possible. 

Sixth, REORDER my nest.  Dejunking the nest from raising five children includes discarding unneeded items, compiling photos and scrapbooks, and repurposing space once dedicated to raising my children. Have a place for everything and put it there.  Have daily, weekly, monthly and seasonal routine chores. 

Seventh, WRITE our Family History.  Interview family, friends, and neighbors of my parents.  Write their stories.  Compile a record  for each of my children's lives,  write each of their histories until they left home as a companion to their photographs and scrapbooks.  Write our story, the Johnson family story. Write my sister's story.  Research for, find and collect my ancestors stories and preserve them.

Eighth, SERVE my fellowman. Make Visiting Teaching a high priority.  Magnify my church callings. Be a good neighbor, friend, and citizen. Act on promptings. Offer appropriate help when I see a need. Use the prayer roll.  Pray for those I am inspired to pray for.  Keep my commitments and promises to the best of my ability. 

Ninth, IMPROVE skills and talents. Keep up on new trends in Education.  Stay current with state licensure.  Take the Praxis.  Write blogs, journals, poetry, reviews, etc. Stay on top of current events and issues. Increase verbal and non verbal people skills and communication. Research topics of interest.  Read to learn.  Read for pleasure.  Improve sewing skills.  Hone needlework skills.  Volunteer to share my skills and talents with others, including those in the music section below. 

Tenth, ENJOY MUSIC.  Listen to good music.  Practice the piano.  Learn to play the organ. 

That's quite an list and will make for a full and happy nest.  Looks like I'll be busy going about doing good!

Grandmoms on Circle of Moms
Grandmoms

No comments: