Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Family Growth Spurt's on the Horizon

      Our family is on the verge of a growth spurt. Thankfully not due to me experiencing a multiple birth pregnancy, that stage is long past for us. However, there was a time I would have welcomed the news of twins on the way. 
     As far as we know not one of our children is pregnant or dating someone who is pregnant, but dating IS the source for our potential growth.  Our oldest son has been friends with a wonderful young lady for five years and recently the friendship has deepened.  We met her and her two beautiful daughters last month.  Our youngest daughter met a young man at church last summer.  They, too, started out as friends and gradually their relationship became more serious.  My husband and I met him two months ago, her siblings over the last month.  It's looking like we are about to add four more to the current 13.  That's quite an increase.
     Exciting is the word for it.  Twice in the last month we've been together for several hours on a Sunday evening.  It's been an energetic, fun, and interesting dynamic watching my children meet their siblings important friends.  I have been amazed at how well everyone is welcoming and accepting each other, how we are stretching to make room, how they are fitting right in almost as if they've always been there. 
     Bonding over food, learning each others interests and work, good naturedly telling family stories on each other, sharing old photos, pulling out childhood toys for the little girls to play with and reading stories to them.  Even 'hanging out' with our oldest daughter and her family via the internet.  It's amazing how quickly bonds have formed as we've gathered together.
     It never occurred to me that I might be welcoming two little girls into my fold the way my own grandmother did when I was four or five. The two little girls were very close in age to my little sister and me.  The oldest only a couple of months my senior and the youngest about six months ahead of my sister.  In an effort to preserve my place as the first born grandchild my grandmother always introduced my cousin and I this way, "Roberta is my oldest granddaughter and Robin is my first born."  Whenever we heard her introduce us this way to her friends, she would always explain it for our benefit. I know what she intended with this explanation now, but as a child I think my cousin and I were only confused. My cousin resented having to share 'the oldest' spot with me convinced that even though she was oldest, I was the favorite. I think I bought in to being the favorite, too.
     Looking back now I can see the difficulty she faced as she welcomed two new little girls into her family.  To make it even harder, her son who was also my Uncle had just experienced a broken engagement to the girl my grandma felt was an excellent match for him. Scheduled to marry in the Salt Lake Temple, suddenly he was dating a divorced woman with two little girls who wasn't even interested in any religion. She was a wonderful grandmother to all of us, including my two 'adopted' cousins, in spite of her disappointment in my Uncle's marriage choice. 
     For me, it is different. For one thing my son has had many girl friends over the years, but he has brought only a couple home to meet us. Also, I did not hand pick who my children dated. I am not sure if this is because I lost my mother at age 11 so I didn't have anyone who did that for me, or if it has to do with my observations of my Uncle and my grandmother, I rather think it's probably influenced by both.  Finally, my two oldest grandchildren were born before the oldest little girl, and my third was born a couple of months before the youngest. Preserving someone's 'place' is a non issue. 
     With all of my being I am hoping these four additions happen in our family. These great young people and two little girls seem to fit right in and I am ready to welcome them with open arms. 

Grandmoms on Circle of Moms
Grandmoms

No comments: